How much weight will a cane support?
The one piece Crook Handle Cane (pictured here)
will always be the strongest, safely supporting up to 250 pounds and designed for people who have to put their full weight on the cane. All two piece canes with metal band connectors are designed primarily for style, and are not meant to be used as weight bearing canes. The selection of two piece canes should be used as stylish walking aids, and can support up to 250 pounds. For big and tall individuals, the Hercules Derby Handle Cane
can safely support up to 500 pounds.
Which hand should I use my cane in?
Canes are to be used in the hand that is on the opposite side of the injury. For example, if the left
hip is causing a problem, the cane should be used in the right
What height should my cane be for proper use?
To properly measure and cut your cane for a custom fit, please review the instructions below. (NOTE: These instructions can also be found on the hang tag included with each cane.)
- Remove the rubber tip from the bottom of the cane.
- Turn the cane upside down.
- On the side of your body opposite the injury, place the cane against your hip.
- With a slight bend in the elbow, mark the cane where it meets your wrist bone.
- Cut the cane at the height marked and replace the tip.
- Patients should always consult their doctor or therapist to help determine a proper walking gait.