Trending: Chalk it up
July 13, 2015
The trend of using chalkboard paint in the home shows no signs of slowing down in 2015. In fact, trends show it’s going to boom again – but in a different way. Avid Pinterest-ers and bloggers are discovering that you can make your own chalk board paint – wait for it – in any color! While we feature many ways to do this yourself on our Pinterest board, we thought we’d also highlight some of the cool chalkboard themed home goods we offer – some obviously handy and others uniquely decorative.
Write on it
- Chalkboard Wall Organizer: Let’s start with the universal pieces. This organizer is perfect for any entryway. Hang keys, sort mail, post up notes on the magnetic strips, plan your week on the chalkboard and more. This simple piece keeps your thoughts in one place and makes it super simple to share schedules with the entire family. The design features three front hooks and three back storage compartments. This cool piece comes with two magnets and all hardware is included so installation is quick and painless.
- Chalkboard Travel Coffee Mug: This eco-friendly cup offers limitless uses. Perk yourself up with a daily affirmation, write down your name when using the cup for a refill at your favorite coffee spot, or just jot down last minute notes for your morning commute. This whimsical piece comes with an included chalk pencil for easy writing. All pieces are dishwasher and microwave safe.
- Chalkboard Globe: Yup. You read that correctly. Create your own unique view of the world with this clever décor piece. Perfect for a home office or the kid’s room, this writable surface allows you to cover every inch of the Earth with your imagination. Kids can study geography, plan trips and create mythical planets for their own enjoyment. This piece definitely inspires those right side of the brain thinkers.
- Chalkboard Rug: If imitation is the highest form of flattery, then this rug is sure to compliment any living space. Designed to look like a blackboard in a local café, this kitchen mat is designed to add character and comfort. If you enjoy the look of chalkboards but not the cleanup, this rug is the perfect accent piece for your décor. Made with a slip-proof polypropylene backing and a color-fast polyester front this rug is long lasting and easy to clean – you can even throw it in the washer.
For those of you more interested in creating this trend on our own, you can find a bunch of tutorials on our Pinterest page.
- Chalkboard paint: Create your own colorful chalkboard paint by adding one part hot water, one part plaster of paris and two parts flat latext paint in your choice of color. Combine the hot water and plaster, mixing well then stir in the paint until well combined. Larger items may require multiple coats.
- Indoor/outdoor chalk: You can even make your own chalk with nothing more than water, plaster of paris and tempra paint. Supplies include: toilet paper or paper towel cardboard tubes, scissors, duct tape, disposable plastic containers for mixing, a large mixing spoon, a plastic spatula and a cooling rack. Mix the plaster of paris as directed while separately mixing tempera paint and water. Slowly combine the two mixtures and fill lined cardboard tubes.
Find more crafts and unique products on our at Pinterest.com/OrganizeIt.
Find these products and more at Organizeit.com, Stacksandstacks.com and Organization-Store.com.
How-to: Pet toy organization and storage
July 6, 2015
We love our fury friends, but we do not love the mess that comes with them. We may have little control over their messy eating habits, sloppy kisses and whirlwind hair shedding abilities, but we can take control over the clutter of their toys.
If you’re anything like me, you love to spoil your four legged buddy. My main man, Pablo, has all the toys, cat nip and scratching posts a kitty could dream of – and I’m the lucky one who trips over all of it day and night.
Regardless of whether your best friend is canine, feline or anything else – pet toy storage and organization is an easy task to tackle if you follow these basic steps:
The first thing you’ll need to do is gather all of your bud’s toys from around the house. Once you do this, you can sort through them and decide what to keep and what to toss. To make the decision easier, look for the following and get rid of anything that falls under the category:
- Broken: if it doesn’t do what’s supposed to do anymore, trash it. Pet toys that are broken pose a greater risk of choking or swallowing for rough players.
- Old and/or dirty: If it’s been chewed down to the bare bones, dragged through the dirt or simply over played with, get rid of it. These toys are a breeding ground for germs and mold.
- Unfavorable: Have a toy that you friend seems to show no interest in? Donate it to your local shelter and help out a pup in need.
- Wash: When Pablo was a kitten I gave him a teddy bear. That thing has become his best friend. I can’t tell you how many times I have sewn it up just to watch him unleash his inner pint-sized lion on it. Those favorite toys are hard to get rid of, but they can be cleaned properly. Plush toys can be soaked, hand washed or thrown in the washing machine. You can even wet them and place them in the microwave to steam away any germs. Hard toys, like chews, can be soaked or placed in the top rack of the dishwasher to sanitize.
Once you have sorted through toys, it’s time to think storage. There are three points to consider: whether your pet’s behavior favors covered or uncovered storage, whether you need indoor and outdoor storage and, finally, placement.
When deciding whether you need covered or uncovered toy storage, consider your pet’s behavior. Do you trust them to access toys and play at their own discretion? Would you prefer to keep an eye on them while they play? Or do you have a mix of both?
I always make sure Pablo has a few toys floating around the house, but I prefer to keep the majority out of his reach. If you’re the same, the Pet Toy Storage Ottoman is an excellent solution. This storage piece boasts not only great capacity, including two inner pockets, but it adds extra seating or a great nap spot for your fury friend. This functional piece is attractive too. The classic chevron pattern in neutral gray and white tones compliments any home décor, and the playful paw print decal is the perfect whimsical accent. A detachable divider allows you to separate toys as needed.
If you’re looking for something a little easier to tote around the house, the Pet Toy Basket is a great addition to your play time. This fabric lined tote has two side rope handles, making it a cinch to move from room to room. Fill it up with toys, treats, bones and more – this tote is ready for the job. A soft beige color accents any modern décor and the same fun paw print decal adds the perfect, subtle label.
If you believe you are in need of outdoor toy storage as well, consider keeping a second basket by the door or adding outdoor storage like the Small Storage Bucket. If you need bigger or covered storage outside, The Outdoor Storage Box and Seat is sure to get the job done. This small sized deck box is an extra seat on the patio, as well as weather-proof storage for outdoor play things.
In the same breath, consider your placement. If you’re keeping toys outside, keep them close to the door. Inside, consider the living room or a spare bedroom where your pet likes to spend most of their time. The Toy Basket can easily be placed atop a bookshelf, while the Storage Ottoman is just at home with the rest of your living room furniture.
Bonus pet storage tips
- Leash and accessories: Be ready to go for a walk by keeping collars, leashes, disposal bags and more in one place. Utilize storage like the Pet Storage Hooks by the back door to tackle this project.
- Nip: Keep cat nip fresh by storing it in an air tight container and placing it in the fridge or freezer.
- Grooming: Tidy up hair brushes, shampoo and more by keeping items in a storage caddy under the bathroom sink, in the linen closet or laundry room.
Follow these basic steps and spend time playing with your best friend, not cleaning up after them.
Find more cool pet storage supplies plus easy ways to clean up after fury friends on our Pinterest page.
Find these products and more at organizeit.com.
Trending: Chic copper finishes create a bold statement
June 29, 2015
Copper saw a trend boom last year and the golden finish shows no signs of slowing down in 2015.
We’ve recently had an influx of new copper items that we’re really excited about. When the following items first showed up in my office, I was hesitant. I see a lot of different finishes on any given day, but this brassy copper – I just wasn’t sold.
As the pieces sat on my desk, awaiting keyword research and an appropriate copy block, they won me over. Copper is not a color for the neutral at heart – it’s for the stylistically daring. It’s bold, sharp and demands attention. No wonder I like it…
The metallic finish pairs well with rosy pink or mint green hues – plus it adds unmistakable warmth to any color pallet. If you follow us on Pinterest, you’ve seen our Copper Chic board recently. Here are a few notable pieces:
This Stacking Jewelry Organizer was the piece that won me over – its design is so unique and clean. The two concrete holders provide tons of space to store bracelets, rings and other jewelry. Felt lined bottoms protect contents and both pieces stack together to conserve space. The copper-finished, zinc-constructed lid also acts as a tray so you can keep favorite pieces accessible.
This organizer is ideal for the pieces you wear every day – necklaces, earrings or rings. Keep it stashed on your bathroom counter, personal vanity or your nightstand to stow away delicate pieces before getting in the shower or tucking in to bed for the evening. I’d even like to keep it close to the kitchen sink to slip off rings when doing the dishes or baking.
These Copper Metal Baskets are the perfect simple storage solution for the entire home. Available in two different sizes, these sturdy steel baskets come in a handsome copper finish. Perfect for the kitchen pantry, closets, bookshelves and more, each basket comes with a label plate to help create an efficient organizing system.
A front loop makes these decorative storage pieces a cinch to take down from high shelves or pull out from tight spaces. Stash away dry goods in the kitchen, kids toys or magazines in the living room, sort essentials in the bedroom or linen closet – utilize them anywhere you’d like! Either tuck them away for concealed storage or display them for a modern touch of style.
For the kitchen
Metallics are a great way to make a bold accent in the kitchen – and we have an excellent collection of copper culinary accessories to adorn your countertops:
- The Jumbo Paper Towel Holder is a simple way to store and access paper towel while maintaining a sleek décor. The crisp, clean lines make this holder a compelling design on your countertop or dining table. The design includes an arm to make separating pieces of paper towel a cinch, even with one hand.
- Display and preserve bananas as they ripen with this stunning Copper Banana Holder. Made from heavy-duty bent steel rod with a copper finish, this handsome banana rack keeps your fruit from getting bruised by keeping if off the countertop and out of fruit bowls. It’s made from .375-inch thick bent and welded rod and offers a modern look to a classic accessory.
- Display your favorite coffee mugs and create an elegant java bar in your kitchen with the Coffee Cup Holder. Handsome and compact at only 6.75 W x 15 H x 6.75 D inches, this mug tree stores up to six large cups.
Add brilliance to your home décor with these copper pieces and more like them at organizit.com.