Re-think Your Organization: Repurposing Household Items
April 21, 2014
Do you want to get more organized without breaking the bank on organizing supplies? In honor of Earth Day tomorrow, here are my top ten favorite organizing solutions using common household items.
- Drawer Organizer – Muffin pans are a great way to organize small items like pins, paper clips, nails and screws, rubber bands, keys, earrings, hair accessories, etc. Ice cube trays or egg cartons can also be used for the same purpose.
- Craft Caddy – Use soup cans or plastic cups to create a craft caddy to organize your paint brushes, markers, colored pencils, scissors, etc. Use your creative energy to decorate them.
- Condiment Caddy – As BBQ season nears, use a cardboard container from soda or beer to hold silverware and condiments. It will make it easy to transport these items from the kitchen to your picnic table!
- Cord Organizer – Once you finish a roll of toilet paper, you can re-purpose it to tame your cords. Just coil the excess cord and slide the toilet paper roll over to keep it neat.
- Spices – Use small glass jars, such as baby food jars, to organize your spices. Use the same size jars and label the tops for easy organization in a shallow drawer.
- Small Toy Pieces – Reuse durable plastic containers from products, such as coffee, diaper wipes, or tennis balls to contain those pesky little toy pieces (Legos, Polly Pockets, marbles, etc.).
- Plastic Grocery Bags – Use a tissue box to contain plastic grocery bags for reuse. It is a great way to contain them and easy to grab one when the need arises.
- Charging Cords – Instead of tossing your old glasses case, use it to pack your charging cord(s) and/or headphones for travel.
- Ball Caps – Use a sturdy hanger and attach ‘s’ hooks or ‘c’ hooks along the bottom part of the hanger (that you use for pants). Now hang a hat from each hook.
- Necklaces – Remove the handle from a vintage rake (or bow rake) and attach it to the wall in your closet or bedroom. Hang your necklaces on this to keep them from getting tangled or misplaced.
Follow these tips or come up with some clever solutions of your own to save money and be eco-friendly while getting your home more organized!
Donna Lindley, Certified Professional Organizer and owner of Rochester Hills, MI-based Organize Your World, Inc.
Playmarket’s We Go Foldable Shopping Cart Wins the 2014 Red Dot Award
April 9, 2014
We take great pride in announcing that our vendor, Playmarket, has received a 2014 Red Dot Award for their We Go Foldable Shopping Cart! This cart is perfect for shopping and makes it especially easy for city living. There are four dual large casters on the bottom to provide extra stability and allow you to easily swivel the cart up to 360 degrees. The removable polyester bag is washable and a screen cover is included so you can keep the contents clean and dry. The rolling shopping bag can hold up to 50 liters, and will fold neatly for convenient storage.
We offer this award winning product on OrganizeIt.com. Don’t forget to check it out!
Press Release: Organize-It Purchases New Web Domain OrganizeIt-Online.com, Expands Online Presence To Three Domains
January 24, 2014
ROCHESTER HILLS, MI – Storage and organizational products retailer Organize-It has purchased online competitor’s site OrganizeIt-Online.com, which adds a third online domain to the Michigan-based company’s roster. Organize-It is adding and expanding OrganizeIt-Online.com’s current product catalog to include more innovative items for the home, office and garage. Organize-It already owns and operates OrganizeIt.com and Organization-Store.com.
Originally based in the greater Sacramento, California area, OrganizeIt-Online.com began as a traditional brick and mortar store in 1988 that specialized in custom closet and garage design. It would later expand to become an online retailer but has decided to shut down as of January 1, 2014. Because both Organize-It brands were part of the same trade group (Storage Sources Group) and the owners knew each other professionally, the OrganizeIt-Online.com domain was offered to Organize-It.
“The purchase was a no-brainer and a great opportunity to expand our online reach,” says Organize-It’s General Manager Chris Nylen. “Our customer service department would often receive phone calls from individuals who thought they were contacting OrganizeIt-Online, so eliminating that confusion was yet another purchase perk,” adds Nylen.
In addition to vastly expanding the product offering on OrganizeIt-Online.com, Organize-It plans to improve shipping costs and increase website marketing. Like OrganizeIt.com and Organization-Store.com, OrganizeIt-Online.com will allow customers to set up an account for easy, streamlined checkout. Accepted payment methods include Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, Diner’s Club, JCB and PayPal. For more information about OrganizeIt-Online.com, go to http://www.organizeit-online.com/info.html or http://www.organizeit.com/.
# # #
Organize-It, an independent storage and organization retailer, was founded in 1997, and offers a variety of storage and organizing products including closet organizers, kitchen gadgets, laundry organizers and other practical home, garage and office wares. Custom closets, including design and installation services, are also available at Organize-It’s Shelby Township, Michigan retail showroom.